Victoria Epilepsy & Parkinson's Centre
What is Epilepsy?
The word ‘epilepsy’ is a general term for more than 20 different types of seizure disorders. Seizures occur as a result of brief changes in the normal activity of brain cells. The extent of these changes, and their effect on the individual, can vary greatly. Epilepsy affects approximately 1 in every 100 Canadians, and begins most often in childhood or the senior years.
How can our agency help you?
If epilepsy is in your life, we can help! Our professional staff offer a wide variety of services to clients with epilepsy at all stages of the life cycle, from children to seniors, and their loved ones, as well as community professionals. These include the following:
- Confidential individualized consultations focusing on each client’s unique need for information, as well as on solutions for particular issues. Available in-person, via telephone at 250-475-6677, or e-mail.
- High quality educational newsletter available to our members containing information about recent research developments and treatments, upcoming educational events, practical information on lifestyle management, employment and financial information, information on community resources and much more.
- Group educational and support opportunities, day and evening. Currently we run three support groups: Encounters Under 30 for those with epilepsy aged 18-30, Moms & Babes for moms with epilepsy, and an adult support group for adults with epilepsy. We also offer an educational group, Living a Healthy Life with a Chronic Condition, that teaches self-management techniques. You can inquire about any of these groups by phoning 250-475-6677 or by e-mail.
- Information packages and brochures for specific requests (ex: women’s issues, men’s issues, children’s issues, parents’ issues).
- Dr. Robert Mittan's Epilepsy Education Articles. These excellent articles provide much needed information about epilepsy diagnosis, treatment and management. Although written for parents of children, this material is applicable to everyone.
- Up-to-date lending library of books, videos and other educational resources
- Tailor-made public education presentations on epilepsy and seizure response, offered at no charge to teachers and students, health care providers, group homes, workplaces, law enforcement personnel, and community agencies.
- Bursaries for Post-secondary Education are offered through Camosun College.
- To help those who wish to search for information about epilepsy on the internet, we have provided links to a few popular epilepsy websites. Please feel welcome to contact our agency for further information and discussion.