Victoria Epilepsy & Parkinson's Centre
There is much interest within our client community regarding this book:
"The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids:
The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research"
Now available online ( click on the image below for more info)
What is Parkinson’s?
Parkinson’s is a slowly progressive disorder of the central nervous system, in which there is a loss of dopamine (a chemical that acts as a messenger between brain cells)
in the brain. With the loss of dopamine, the brain is not able
to make or send signals to control movement properly. Primary symptoms of Parkinson’s include tremor, slowness of movement, stiffness or rigidity of muscles, and balance changes. There may also be many other symptoms. Parkinson’s can be diagnosed in adults of any age.
How can our agency help you?
Whether you are living with classic Parkinson's Disease or another associated condition such as Multisystem Atrophy (MSA), Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP), Lewy Body Disease (LBD), stroke-related Parkinsonism or other forms, we can help you identify the many powerful ways you can take action in your life.
Where can I obtain more information about Parkinson’s?
The professional staff at the HeadWay, Victoria Epilepsy and Parkinson’s Centre offer a wide range of services to individuals and their families. As well, our Centre is also associated with the Parkinson Society of British Columbia and you may find useful information on their website www.parkinson.bc.ca
Ways we can help you:
- Individualized consultations focusing on each client’s unique experience, as well as practical symptom management strategies for daily living. Family members are welcome and encouraged to attend these consultation sessions. Private sessions are available by phone or appointment (250) 475-6677, or email our Program Coordinator.
- Services for family members. Parkinson’s affects the family as well. We encourage and assist loved ones to be informed, and to develop self care strategies to maintain balance in their lives.
- Professionally facilited program for those new to Parkinson's and their families. This program is both an educational and networking experience. Many lunch groups have formed from this program that continue to meet in the community.
- Parkinson's Self-Managment resources
- Education Sessions are held periodically. Popular topic areas are addressed such as medical treatments and practical coping strategies.
- 2 specialized Parkinson’s Exercise Programs are led by skilled instructors.
- Numerous monthly Parkinson's support groups are available including one for family members
- Parkinson’s Inreach Program for Massage Therapy.
- Comprehensive Transmitter Newsletter covering recent research developments and treatments, practical information on lifestyle management, community resources and much more.
- Up-to-date lending library of books, videos and other educational resources
- Tailor-made In-Services for Health Care Providers, offered free of charge.
- Perspective AND HOPE!
Who can access our services?
Our full range of services is available to the more than 1,000 residents of Victoria ’s Capital Regional District who have Parkinson’s or an associated condition. Click here for information on becoming a member.
Our Clients Tell Us...
“The best part is knowing I can always call for information and anything else I need.”
“Being associated with the Victoria Parkinson’s Centre has allowed me to see there can be a full and meaningful life after the devastating diagnosis of Parkinson’s. My experience with the Centre has taught me to make plans, and live life.”